The following are the competencies taught at the SBW Introductory Abseiling Workshops, and are the assumed pre-requisite to attend abseiling trips or abseiling canyons with Sydney Bush Walkers.
The questions below outline the broad instructional/assessment areas:
What would you do if: (For questions 1-4, answer for top-belay or bottom-belay):
1. An Abseiler's hair or clothing became stuck in their device while descending?
2. An Abseiler was terrified and needed to come back up the cliff?
3. An Abseiler injured themselves on the cliff face? Mildly? Seriously? Unconscious?
4. An Abseiler came across a knot in the rope half way down the cliff? Did you check that they have prussiks and know how to use them?
5. Do you know how to self-belay?
6. Do you know how to set up a hauling system? Z-drag? (Un-assisted Hoist), and an Assisted Hoist?
7. Do you understand how Hauling Systems are configured to create a load advantage, and how these can also create additional stress and load amplification on anchors?
8. Do you know what an "autoblocking" mechanism is? Why would you use one?
9. Can you improvise a waist harness? A chest harness?
10. If you have no descending device, (for whatever reason) do you know how to tie a Munter Hitch (Italian Hitch) to descend?
The following are broad competencies for SBW Canyon Leaders. It is difficult to be prescriptive as situations need to be treated on their merits. These only cover competencies specific to abseiling/canyoning. There are other competencies that are expected of SBW Trip Leaders in general eg navigation, group management, time management, which are not covered here.
The Next Information Night will be held on Wednesday 9 May at 7.30pm
The Next Social Night will be held on Wednesday 16 May at 7.30pm
New Members Information Nights are held every month upstairs at 16 Fitzroy Street Kirribilli,
Prospectives doing their first overnight Q can borrow gear for their first overnight walk. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send any news items to email@example.com.
Kowmung River, Kanangra-Boyd NP
Lindfield to Gordon, Garigal NP
Dione Dell Canyon, Kanangra-Boyd NP
Walls Pass, Blue Mountains NP
Cowan to Mt Kuring-
Splendour Rock, Blue Mountains NP